Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The time is up

Since we are in The Flying Dutchman mood, I think it is the right moment to draw your attention to  a brilliant young bass-baritone, Ryan McKinny, who won the Birgit Nilsson Prize at this year's Operalia for his performance of "Die Frist ist um"(The time is up)



YT video appended below. Enjoy!


Placido Domingo is conducting [well, kind of ;)]




Die Frist ist um, 
und abermals verstrichen sind sieben Jahr'. 
Voll Überdruß wirft mich das Meer ans Land . . . 
Ha, Stolzer Ozean! 
In kurzer Frist sollst du mich wieder tragen!
Dein Trotz ist beugsam, 
doch ewig meine Qual! 
Das Heil, das auf dem Land ich suche, 
nie werd' ich es finden! 
Euch, des Weltmeers Fluten; bleib' ich getreu, 
bis eure letzte Welle sich bricht, 
und euer letztes Naß versiegt! 

Wie oft in Meeres tiefsten Schund 
stürzt' ich voll Sehnsucht mich hinab: 
doch ach! den Tod, ich fand ihn nicht! 
Da, wo der Schiffe furchtbar' Grab, 
trieb mein Schiff ich zum Klippengrund; 
Doch ach! mein Grab, es schloß sich nicht. 
Verhöhnend droht' ich dem Piraten, 
in wildem Kampfe erhofft ich Tod.
"Hier," rief ich, "zeige deine Taten, 
Von Schätzen voll sind Schiff und Boot!" 
Doch ach! des Meer's barbar'scher Sohn 
schlägt bang das Kreuz und flïgt davon. 
Wie oft in Meeres tiefsten Schlund 
stürzt' ich voll Sehnsucht mich hinab. 
Da, wo der Schiffe fürchtbar Grab 
trieb mein Schiff ich im Klippengrund: 
Nirgends ein Grab! Niemals der Tod! 
Dies der Verdammis Schreckgebot. 
Dich frage ich, gepreisner Engel Gottes, 
der meines Heils Bedingung mir gewann; 
war ich Unsel'ger Spielwerk deines Spottes, 
als die Erlösung du mir zeigtest an? 
Vergeb'ne Hoffnung! Furchtbar eitler Wahn! 
Un ew'ge Treu' auf Erden - ist's getan! 
Nur eine Hoffnung soll mir bleiben, 
nur eine unerschuettert steh'n: 
so lang' der Erde Keim' auch treiben, 
so muß sie doch zugrunde gehn! 
Tag des Gerichtes! Jüngster Tag! 
Wann brichst du an in meine Nacht? 
Wann dröhnt er, der Vernichtungschlag, 
mit dem die Welt zusammenkracht? 
Wann alle Toten auferstehn. 
Dann werde ich in Nichts vergehn. 
Ihr Welten, endet euren Lauf!
Ew'ge Vernichtung, nimm mich auf!
 
 
 
The time is up, and once again seven years
have elapsed. The sea, sated, casts me
up on land ... Ha! Haughty ocean!
Shortly you must bear me again!
Your stubbornness can be changed, but my doom is eternal!
Never shall I find the redemption I seek on land!
To you, surging ocean, I remain true
until your last wave breaks
and your last waters run dry! -
How often into ocean's deepest maw
I have plunged longingly;
but alas! I have not found death!
There on the reefs, fearful graveyard
of ships, I have driven my ship;
but ah! the grave would not take me!
Mocking, I challenged the pirate
and hoped for death in fierce affray:
"Here", I cried, "prove your deeds!
My ship is filled with treasure."
But ah! the sea's barbarous son
crossed himself in fear, and fled. –
How often into ocean's deepest maw
I have plunged longingly.
There on the reefs, fearful graveyard
of ships, I have driven my ship:
nowhere a grave! Death never comes!
This is the dread sentence of damnation.
I ask thee, blessed angel from heaven
who won for me the terms for my absolution:
was I the unhappy butt of thy mockery
when thou didst show me the way of release?
Vain hope! Dread, empty delusion!
Constant faith on earth is a thing of the past!
One single hope shall remain with me,
it alone shall stand unshaken:
long though the earth may put out new shoots,
it yet must perish.
Day of Judgment! Day of doom!
When will you dawn and end my night?
When will the blow of annihilation resound
which shall crack the world asunder?
When all the dead rise again,
then shall I pass into the void.
You stars above, cease your course!
Eternal extinction fall on me!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment